Thursday, January 12, 2023

Writing with Dice 2

  Why am I writing this? 

Who am I? 

Are those cyborg beavers damming up my brain? 

Just a small example of the freedom and just outright joy that Bitter Birds Baking Brittle Bread bakes for both the writer who likes to play with dice. Or is it the role-player that likes to write? I get those two confused. 

5B's is a wonderful romp through surreal and post-modern (post-structure) writing and role-playing. In it, the player is set loose on a wide and open pasture of possibilities. Thanks to this 17 page manifesto I felt the same joy when I got an electric typewriter for Xmas. Anything and everything was (and now is!) possible. But this time I have dice too!

Not to be repetitive, but 5'B's is for the writer who likes to occasionally roll with dice (didn't Gygax himself say that dice were on the table just for the noise they made, or for the Dungeon master to do something while the players decide?)

I read over this document and honestly cannot decide if it is speaking to the role-player or the writer in me. Just look at this quote and tell me which one...

"What feels right? Where does your random stream of

consciousness go? What symbolic associations jump to

mind without thinking about it? What rings true to happen

next in the song of the theme and lyrical story?"

Can't tell can you? So for all those that are bipolar over role-player/writer, just pick up this pamphlet of (no) rules and feel the freedom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment